Do you know that ChatGPT currently has more than 100 million users with 1.8 billion visitors per month?
You can imagine how unbelievably popular and gigantic ChatGPT has become in the present. In fact, ChatGPT is unceasingly rivalling Google in the conversational AI domain.
Therefore, as an AI wizard, blogger, or digital marketer, you would definitely like to adapt to this era of AI by learning more about ChatGPT to avoid being left behind.
Hence, to keep up our audience with the latest ground-breaking invention, we have crafted an extensive informational statistics guide about ChatGPT.
So, if you are an Ai enthusiast, this ChatGPT statistics guide will be an insightful asset to upgrade your knowledge with the most up-to-date data.
Are you ready? Let’s jump straight into the article.
- ChatGPT Statistics for 2023
- 1. ChatGPT’s Record-Breaking Achievement Of Acquiring 1 Million Users:
- 2. ChatGPT achieved 100 million 2 months after its launch.
- 3. ChatGPT’s Traffic Source:
- 4. ChatGPT Users by Geography.
- 5. Chat GPT Statistics by Age Category
- 6. ChatGPT Plus Stats
- 7. ChatGPT’s GPT-3.5 Model vs GPT-4 Model
- 8. OpenAI Launched ChatGPT Plugins
- 9. $30 Billon Evaluation of OpenAI
- 10. Top OpenAI Tools
- 11. Cost of Single Chat with ChatGPT
- 12. ChatGPT Process 1M Queries Per Day
- 13. ChatGPT’s 300M Impact Jobs Impact
- 14. ChatGPT’s Impact on Real World
- 15. 51% of IT Professionals Warns: ChatGPT is a New Cyber Threat
- 16. Threat to Higher Education: 40% of Students Are Aware of ChatGPT
- 17. Some Certain Companies Reaction to ChatGPT Model
- 18. ChatGPT Alternative, Competitors, and Integration of ChatGPT
- In A Nutshell:
ChatGPT Statistics for 2023
1. ChatGPT’s Record-Breaking Achievement Of Acquiring 1 Million Users:
According to the official reports of OpenAI, ChatGPT gained 1 million users within a mere 5 days after its launch in November 2022.
ChatGPT’s record-breaking growth in the internet world is exceptional. If you compare it with other fastest-growing software, then Instagram reached the landmark of 1 million users in 2.5 months, while Netflix in 3.5 years, and Spotify in 5 months.
ChatGPT held the title of the fastest-growing application until July 2023 when Threads entered the market and astonishingly reached 1 million users in only 1 hour.
In general Open AI companies had a firm reputation due to their history for building advanced AI language models like ChatGPT and its previous launch of GPT-2 which gained huge popularity among tech wizards.
That can be a potential reason that people were excited to try out the GPT-3 version, making it the second-fastest growing application in the world.
2. ChatGPT achieved 100 million 2 months after its launch.
According to a report of The Guardian, published on 2nd Feb 2023, ChatGPT has achieved 100 million users within a span of two months from its launch.
Similarweb’s analysis reveals that ChatGPT attracted 590 million visitors in January from 100 million unique visitors.
This means, on average, a user visited ChatGPT nearly 5.9 times in January.
ChatGPT is built on the GPT-3.5 architecture and trained on a comprehensive range of internet text and code. Besides, it has the ability to understand complex questions and produce unique answers contextually.
ChatGPT’s rapid growth is due to its straightforward interface, quick responses, and creative text outputs on any topic.
It is also worth mentioning that its learning ability during any conversation with a user, and human-like interaction are making it much more engaging for the users.
3. ChatGPT’s Traffic Source:
Direct Traffic & Indirect Traffic
According to the analysis of Similarweb, the majority of visitors (93.7%) access ChatGPT directly from their web browser, by typing the ChatGPT URL.
Only a small percentage, 6.27%, of the visitors come from referrals.
|ChatGPT’s Traffic Source||Percentage|
Social Media Traffic:
YouTube accounts for about 60.43% of ChatGPT’s social media traffic, attracting approximately 3 out of 5 visitors to the platform.
Additionally, according to an OpenAI report:
- YouTube accounts for 25% of all new ChatGPT users in 2022.
- Whats App: 11.31%.
- Facebook: 8.7%.
- Twitter: 4.88%.
- LinkedIn: 3.28%.
According to the report of SimilarWeb, nearly 9.6k keywords are searched on the browser to access ChatGPT.
Here is a list of the top keywords including their traffic share in percentage and their monthly
|Keyword||Traffic Share (%)||Monthly Volume (millions)|
|chat gpt :||34.46%||52.63|
|chat gpt login||2.06%||3.13|
|chat with ai||1.51%||2.34|
|chat using ai||1.44%||2.26|
Source: Similarweb, OpenAI
After the launch of ChatGPT’s GPT 3.5 version in November 2022, it became widely popular among tech enthusiasts due to its sophisticated features.
Afterward, ChatGPT started being discussed by social media influencers, celebrities, and digital marketers, and it was also featured in some famous newspapers including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, etc.
In consequence, people are more prone to use their browsers and type “ChatGPT login” to access it, rather than visiting it from a third-party source. Thus, it gets 93.7% of direct traffic.
And, regarding YouTube’s contribution, it has more than 2 billion monthly active users in which a large number of tech influencers are making comprehensive videos about ChatGPT and its abilities. It is also playing a crucial part in boosting traffic to the OpenAI website.
4. ChatGPT Users by Geography.
According to the report of Similarweb, The highest number of ChatGPT users,
- approximately 15.22%, comes from the USA.
- India holds the second largest user base of ChatGPT with 6.32%.
- And, Japan boasts the third most substantial user base for ChatGPT, accounting for 3.32%.
- Colombia: 3.3%.
- Canada: 2.75%.
The USA is the number one developed country in the world with a $26.85 trillion GDP in which a high percentage of people are active internet and social media users. Moreover, the United States is the hub for tech innovation, making individuals more fascinated by employing AI like ChatGPT for different purposes.
Adding to that, in January 2023, the percentage of ChatGPT users in the USA was around 12.31%, and now it is 15.22%. Therefore, it is worth mentioning that there has been a 2.91% growth in ChatGPT users from the United States in the past six months.
5. Chat GPT Statistics by Age Category
YouGov reports state that 17% of people who belong to the 30 to 44-year age group have used ChatGPT since January 2023.
Similarly, 15% of individuals aged between 18 and 29 years have utilised ChatGPT to generate text.
Nearly 9% of individuals who fall within the 45-64 age demographic and 5% of individuals aged 65 and older have implemented ChatGPT.
The 30-44 age group is known as Generation X which normally belongs to the mature age group like parents or office employees. These age group people were growing up when the traditional way of working was shifting to the digital age.
Hence, not to be left behind and soundly embrace the advancement of AI, Generation X has started implementing it for learning purposes.
The 18 to 29 age group aka Generation-Z is highly tech-savvy with a keen interest in both the internet and AI. As they have grown up with the tv, internet, and social media, they are more familiar with the technology and use AI like ChatGPT largely to complete their school assignment, projects, etc.
6. ChatGPT Plus Stats
ChatGPT’s paid version, ChatGPT Plus, was launched on February 1, 2023.
Here are some stats of ChatGPT Plus
- Features: This plan provides users with the latest updated features of ChatGPT. ChatGPT Plus at present assists GPT-4 model(latest), GPT-3.5(old) and ChatGPT Plugins.
- Revenue: It makes an approximate $1 million monthly revenue each month.
- Users: It has more than 1 million users across the world.
- Cost: ChatGPT Plus costs $20 per month.
- Top 5 Countries using ChatGPT Plus are:
- United States (12.12%)
- India (7.61%)
- Japan (4.17%)
- Brazil (3.32%)
- United Kingdom (2.99%)
OpenAI’s ChatGPT is absolutely free to use and boasts a user base of more than 100 million users. But, they need revenue to run their organization effectively. Hence, they launched ChatGPT Plus to generate revenue from those users who are ready to pay for accessing the current features.
Additionally, the GPT-4 model can carry out a comprehensive range of tasks, generating output that is more grammatically and factually correct. This version is also more sophisticated, creative, imaginative, fluent, and accurate regarding its output. Therefore, GPT-4 also attracts users to pay for this.
7. ChatGPT’s GPT-3.5 Model vs GPT-4 Model
The free version of ChatGPT is powered by GPT-3.5 technology, while ChatGPT Plus operates on GPT-4 model. Due to the advanced features of GPT-4 model, the Plus version has the ability to produce better results as compared to GPT-3.5.
Here are some key differences between GPT-3.5 Version and GPT-4 model :
- Parameters: GPT-4 has 100 trillion parameters, on the other hand, GPT-3.5 has 175 billion parameters.
- Languages: GPT-4 supports 25 languages, whereas GPT-3 only supports English.
- Memory: GPT-4 has a context window of 16000 tokens while GPT-3.5 has a context window of 4000 tokens.
Therefore, GPT-4 has the capacity to remember up to 60000 words from earlier prompts, whereas GLT-3.5 can hold up to 4000 words.
However, 30% of ChatGPT users still choose the GPT-3.5.
It is true that ChatGPT Plus has a range of enhanced functionalities, yet around 30% of users opt for the GPT-3.5 version.
There are several reasons why the free version of ChatGPT is satisfactory: its prime quality output fulfils the users’ needs, it is free, and the UI is simple to use.
8. OpenAI Launched ChatGPT Plugins
OpenAI launched the ChatGPT plugin in beta in May 2023, and it is only available in ChatGPT Plus. Here are some essential statistics of ChatGPT plugins to know:
- As of July 2023, there are 10 ChatGPT plugins available to access.
- OpenAI has not shared how many users are accessing ChatGPT plugin, but they have revealed the percentage of users is increasing rapidly.
- The Browsing Plugin, the Code Interpreter Plugin, and the Food Plugin are the most favored ChatGPT plugin.
- Most users employ ChatGPT plugins for research, learning, and entertainment purposes.
- The typical user, on average, utilizes 2 plugins per month.
- The most popular day to use the ChatGPT plugin is Friday(15%), between 12 pm and 2pm EST.
- The workday is when ChatGPT plugins are mostly used.
- The average usage of ChatGPT on Wednesday is a 0% change from the average, showing that on Wednesday less than 1.5 million interactions occur on GPT as compared to Friday.
ChatGPT Plugins have a wide range of functionalities, including it can search the web, understand images, order food, run code, and generating several types of unique texts like email, letters, musical content, code, etc.
It is worth mentioning that there are some plugins that can be implemented without leaving the chatbot dashboard, such as
- Code Interpreter,
- Food apps,
- Knowledge base retrieval, and
- Search engines.
As a result, the popularity of ChatGPT plugins is rising tremendously.
9. $30 Billon Evaluation of OpenAI
OpenAI is a non-profit AI research laboratory founded by Sam Altman, Ilya Sutskever, and others in 2015, which has founded a bunch of AI tools and is playing a crucial role in the enhancement of artificial intelligence.
Elon Musk was one of the co-founders of OpenAI. On February 21, 2018, He resigned from the company’s board of directors due to a disagreement with the other founders about the company’s vision.
Prominent companies like Microsoft, K2 Global, Founders Fund, Bedrock Capital, Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global, Thrive Capital, and Andreessen Horowitz have contributed more than $11 billion in funding to OpenAI.
In January 2023, OpenAI unveiled its record-breaking funding round, with a remarkable $10 billion investment from Microsoft.
According to CNBC’s reports, OpenAI’s estimated worth is approximately $30 billion.
More than 600 employees are working in different offices across the world for OpenAI.
OpenAI’s aim is to assist the human race with the advancement of AI. They believe technology is used for good things that can benefit individuals vastly in several sectors like medical care, industries, transportation, etc.
And, regarding OpenAI’s massive valuation, it has a $10 billion valuation in 2019, but after the launch of the GPT-3 version of ChatGPT, the usage of ChatGPT and the popularity of AI just skyrocketed
These are some reasons why some big companies made an investment in OpenAI, where Microsoft is the largest shareholder.
10. Top OpenAI Tools
OpenAI is an innovative AI company that invented many supreme quality AI tools such as
- ChatGPT Plus (1M+ Users),
- GPT-4 (approximately in Millions),
- DALL-E 2 (3M+),
- CLIP (2M+),
- OpenAI Gym (1M+),
- OpenAI Baselines (100,000 + million),
- Copilot (100,000M+).
ChatGPT is not only the tool with cutting-edge technology launched by OpenAI. There are several tools that are better than ChatGPT and have unmatched functionalities depending on the requirements such as DALL-E 2. Furthermore, OpenAI is actively engaged in innovating other AI tools.
11. Cost of Single Chat with ChatGPT
CEO of OpenAI, Sam Altman in his Twitter handle says the average cost of a single chat with ChatGPT is nearly in single digit cents, that is $0.01.
According to Tom Goldstein’s estimation, an AI ML Professor at Maryland University
- The daily cost of running ChatGPT is around $100,000, and the monthly cost is estimated to be 3 million USD.
These two estimates reveal that it cost a large sum of money to run ChatGPT due to its massive requirements of computing power, powerful hardware, and well-skilled employees.
However, with the advancement of functionalities and the growth of users, the cost of running ChatGPT may decrease.
12. ChatGPT Process 1M Queries Per Day
Reuters’ reports reveal that ChatGPT had 100 million users in January 2023.
- This means that if each user searches 10 queries per day, then it will be 1 billion queries that ChatGPT is getting every day.
Although it is just an assumption that ChatGPT is getting 10 queries each day by the users, many users search for less than that or hundred to thousands of queries every day. Moreover, some users search the same query several times, leading to an increase in the total number of queries.
Considering that, the total number of queries that ChatGPT gets less than 1 billion. The statistics we are providing are estimates, but a large number of people from different professions utilize ChatGPT every day for different purposes due to its sophisticated technology and wide-ranging capabilities.
13. ChatGPT’s 300M Impact Jobs Impact
GPT-4 Model elevated the creative and cognitive potentials and as per the forecast, GPT model will impact more than 300 million jobs by 2030.
According to an OpenAI paper, GPTs are GPTs,
- In the USA, around 80% of workers might see that their 10% of the tasks are being affected by GPTs.
- And, nearly 19% of workers may see at least 50% of their tasks impacted.
After the launch of ChatGPT and GPT-4, people are worried about job loss in various fields. Whether you see it as a rumor or fact, it’s certain that some repetitive jobs will be automated by AIs. However, people who will adopt AI and implement it comprehensively will accomplish greatness.
14. ChatGPT’s Impact on Real World
According to Yahoo, individuals have saved approximately 1 hour every day by employing ChatGPT while accomplishing several tasks such as writing emails, researching information, translating texts, summarising texts, answering customer service questions, etc.
ChatGPT assisted millions of writers by offering prime information about writing skills along with providing feedback on grammar usage, writing skills, vocabulary tone, and effectiveness:
- Writers: Massachusetts Institute of Technology reports say writers can produce creative content by 30% by utilizing ChatGPT.
- Business: University of California, Berkeley studies say ChatGPT can aid businesses to enhance their customer service by 20%.
- Students: University of Oxford reports that ChatGPT can assist students to upgrade their writing skills by 15%.
ChatGPT can offer real-time feedback on various aspects of writing, such as grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, writing tone, and overall writing effectiveness.
This allows writers to analyze their work, spotting both minor and major errors. In addition, it offers alternative words, sentence structures, and grammar to improve the sentence’s meaning and effectiveness in different writing styles.
15. 51% of IT Professionals Warns: ChatGPT is a New Cyber Threat
According to some researchers’ studies in 2022, it is possible to use ChatGPT to generate malware, malicious code, and polymorphic virus, including phishing emails, and fake news articles.
ChatGPT can be implemented to create complex phishing attacks that can mislead users.
According to Blackberry Research, around 51% of IT professionals anticipate that they will encounter a successful cyberattack, assisted with ChatGPT by the close of this year.
There are many reports of ChatGPT that are being used to create malicious content, an info stealer, an encryption tool, and dark web malware scripts. In December 2022, a threat actor posted a thread on a popular hacking forum, explaining how they utilized ChatGPT to develop an info stealer.
In truth, ChatGPT is a highly advanced application with a wide range of capabilities. It can be a powerful tool for cyber criminals who intend to steal personal data from users.
16. Threat to Higher Education: 40% of Students Are Aware of ChatGPT
According to a survey by CNBC18 of 1000 college students,
- 40% of them were informed about ChatGPT and 20% of them had utilized it to produce output for their schoolwork.
That means 400 students out of 1000 students are aware of GPT and only 200 had implemented it.
OpenAI has warned students to use it for important tasks, such as writing essays, coding, or any kind of school assignment.
These above-mentioned statistics indicate that the quality of education may decrease if students stat relying on ChatGPT to complete their project and homework by generating quality output.
17. Some Certain Companies Reaction to ChatGPT Model
After its release, ChatGPT obtained a comprehensive range of reactions. Here some reactions to ChatGPT based on its flaws:
- In January, Italy had banned ChatGPT on 1st Janury 2023 due to concerns, but on April 29, 2023, they made it accessible again.
- Google has become very careful about ChatGPT, and they only provided access to it to a specified test group of about 100 people.
- JP Morgan Chase & Co. and Verizon took away access for users from ChatGPT on January 20, 2023, citing concerns about the chatbot’s potential for malicious activities and spreading misinformation.
- On December 5, 2022, Stack Overflow, a popular question-answer platform, banned the use of ChatGPT because of its tendency to generate incorrect answers. According to a Stack Overflow blog post, ChatGPT was generating false answers at a rate of 60%.
- According to Indiatoday, on January 27, 2023, Amazon has altered their employees not to share sensitive data with ChatGPT.
- After their launch, Artificial Intelligence tokens like DeepBrain Chain and Numeraire experienced a notable price surge of up to 77%, as per a CoinGecko study.
According to statistics, many companies are worried about ChatGPT being used for spamming, malicious activities, stealing personal information, and creating harmful or misleading content.
However, ChatGPT’s development is ongoing, and its functionalities are being improved.
18. ChatGPT Alternative, Competitors, and Integration of ChatGPT
ChatGPT is the most used LLM chatbot so far with 60 million daily active users. However, there are several alternatives and competitors to ChatGPT. Here are some:
- Google BARD: Approximately 100,000 People
- Jasper Chat: Used by 10,000+ Businesses.
- Chatsonic: 1M+ Active Users
- HuggingFace ChatGPT: 100,000+ People
- Perplexity AI: More than 2M monthly active users
Bing’s Integration with ChatGPT:
- Bing integrated with ChatGPT in May 2023 to provide more extensive, up-to-date, and complete answers to the users.
- After Bing integrated with ChatGPT in May 2023, Google BARD integrated with Google search in June 2023.
- Some other popular online platforms such as Slack, Discord, and Google Docs have integrated ChatGPT into their system.
In A Nutshell:
I hope these key statistics help you get detailed insights about OpenAI, ChatGPT, its usages, how it operates, and the market of artificial intelligence.
Yes, AI has arrived in the market with its cutting-edge technology and wide-ranging capabilities that can reduce human labor and boost productivity. But, there is a high chance of losing some repetitive jobs due to AI Automation. Therefore, we have to embrace, adapt and utilize AI like ChatGPT to be upgraded.
So, which statistical data about ChatGPT has fascinated you the most? What is your personal opinion about ChatGPT and the future of AI? Let me know in the comment box.